Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New Perspective

My surroundings have changed.

Tonight I moved my writing station from a long-term temporary location (aka the dining table with a view of the driveway...and the television), to a more semi-permanent (if you will) space-saving desk, with a view of trees out of one window, and the street going past my house out of another.

I'm writing this at my new ladder desk, named such because it has basically two stilts going up the sides for legs, a flat workspace for my laptop, and two small shelves above, which are currently empty. If it were a bit more sturdy, I might be able to climb each "rung," and escape from this last-minute blog post.

It's fun to change the scenery once in a while, and people like to show off their work spaces. When mine becomes more organized with favorite creativity tchotchkes, I'll post a photo. We may spend a good chunk of our weekend shifting desks and categorizing our substantial library of books. (seriously. it's gonna be a hoot. I promise.)

And after this daily blogging exercise ends tomorrow, I shall return to this new space with the hopes that my writing takes...a step up.

(ouch. that one even hurt to write. I can imagine how it was to read.)

"First, I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse
something that is already clear in my mind. If it were
clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need
to write about it. We do not write in order to be
understood. We write in order to understand."
—Robert Cecil Day-Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment