Sunday, March 09, 2008

Amen! Or...Not.

For several Sunday evenings earlier this year, I attended a community forum series on the major religions of the world. Every Sunday a different religion was presented, with a half-hour overview of the religion's history and beliefs, and a half hour for questions from the audience.

I don't think I came away from the series on a more focused path toward one religion or another, but I learned a little bit about each along the way, which is all I was looking for. Actually...if I had to pick one out of the sessions I attended, I'm probably a Hindu. But that's still up for debate.

The religions covered were Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Protestant Christianity and Catholic Christianity. And because of bad weather one week, and my swell winter cold the next, I missed the last two dealing with Christianity. (I wonder if that's some sort of sign.)

Religion is a topic that I have a hard time discussing with much conviction, because I'm *mumble mumble* years old and I don't know what I believe. Or...if I believe.

I was raised Catholic...and I have a buddy who's got more brains than most people I know, and he's a devout athiest...and I can understand both points of view, and every one in between.

I guess I'm just confused.

I got a little insight earlier this week in my quest for answers, when a quote popped up on my homepage that made an awful lot of sense to me. And it was the impetus for this post.

Abe Lincoln used only nineteen words, but came out sounding incredibly profound.



"When I do good, I feel good;
when I do bad, I feel bad,
and that is my religion."
—Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

  1. You sure sound like a Unitarian-Universalist to me, my friend! Look 'em up online sometime, I think you'll like what you see!

    ReplyDelete