Thursday, November 22, 2007

Please Pass The Cranberries

Here in the wee early a.m. hours of this Thanksgiving Day, I must excitedly tell you that today is my favorite day of the year.

It's impossible to beat the three F's: family, food and football. Even if the Lions look like turkeys, there are still those first two F's to consider...and those are a couple mighty fine F's.

A Thanksgiving memory that has lived on and grown to nearly legendary status in my family is the tale of the cranberries.

Back about a thousand years ago when I was 11, I was moving the dish of cranberry sauce from the kitchen counter to the table...all of about eight feet. Unbeknownst to me, my sister was taking a photo of the general scene: my mom and grandma in the kitchen, the table all set in the dining area...and me.


As I turned to move toward the table, the flash on the camera went off (as evidenced by my closed-eye expression and the lovely shadows outlining me) and in my surprise I accidentally tilted the dish a bit too far (as evidenced by the gelatinous mass caught in mid-flop that is way too far gone to recover).

For years after that, it was my job to ceremoniously transport the cranberries from counter to table in a dramatic reenactment of the 1980 photo. (sans flop, of course.)

(for the record, this is the first...and hopefully only...photo of myself on this blog. flattering, isn't it?)

May you have many things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
And may your cranberries be free of floor dust.



"Eternity is two people and a roast turkey."
—James Dent

6 comments:

  1. A classic photo indeed. Thanksgiving is all about traditions and your yearly reenactment is a perfect example of that.

    Hoping you and yours have a safe and happy holiday.

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, what an awesome photo!

    Best of all, now that I see what you look like, I do sort of recall seeing you around the old neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture is hilarious!

    GREAT blog you have here. Love it.

    SBW, another NaBloPoMo'er

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about the rest of you, but I...am...stuffed. (still! and it's like the whole next day already.)

    The Lions did indeed look like turkeys. But I'm used to it.

    Thanks for the comment, SBW.
    Onward to the end of November!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's days later and I'm laughing at this photo. Just thought I'd tell you.
    ~SBW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that one of the most traumatic events from my childhood is bringing you such amusement, SBW. Go ahead...laugh. Snicker. Poke fun.

    I still can't look at a can of cranberry sauce without having flashbacks.

    (perhaps I'm aiming for the overly dramatic here.) Enjoy! :O)

    ReplyDelete