Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thirty Days of Thanks: Moonglow

Tonight, as I drove home from work, the moon was hanging very low in the sky, looking ginormous, glowing with a pale golden hue. It looked close enough that if I took the right route and drove just a few more miles, I'd reach the surface...certainly before I ran out of the quarter tank of gas I had left in my car. It was nothing short of...magical.

You probably think I'm being overly dramatical, but...that's what the moon does to me. I don't stare at it only when it's huge or new or full. I stare at it all the time. The moon and Orion, when it's his season to travel our night sky, are my two constants. I may even...um...talk to them.

[I asked Orion if he got any deer this season, and he said he's still chasing them.]

A few years ago, when the moon was bright and high in the sky, I drove a mile out of the town I lived in, and experimented with my new camera until my fingers were frozen, and managed this shot.


I haven't had the same luck in other attempts at capturing the moon, and didn't have time tonight, unfortunately, to run around and find a spot to set up camera and lens and tripod. But I hope to capture an image some night when I see it again as brilliant as it was tonight.

I'm thankful for the moon and the stars, the possibilities of other worlds, and the dream of one day owning lakefront property on the Sea of Tranquility.

"Yeah, we all shine on,
like the moon,
and the stars,
and the sun."
—John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment